Stainless Steel Ball Valves
STAINLESS STEEL BALL VALVES
Stainless Steel Ball Valves are included in our product range to complement our Camlock Fittings. These are the standard industry accepted ball valves, manufactured to the required technical and quality specifications. They are used across general industry, in applications wherever flow needs to be controlled. This includes the plumbing, construction, mining, chemical and petrochemical industries, the food and beverage and Water, Oil and Gas (WOG) industries. Our Stainless Ball Valves are manufactured in High Grade Stainless Steel 316 (SS304 is also available in the 2 piece range). Sometimes also referred to as SS Ball Valves or Ball Valve Stainless. Certification available on request. Ball Valve Suppliers please link here for trade pricing.
Stainless Steel Ball Valve Technical Specifications
STAINLESS STEEL BALL VALVE FEATURES
- 1000 PSI (WOG: Water, Oil, Gas)
- Full Port
- Threaded Ball Valve (Female BSPP Threads)
- Blow out Proof Handle Stem
- Handle with Locking Lever
- PTFE Seals and Seats
- Solid Ball
STAINLESS BALL VALVE ADVANTAGES
- Can be used quickly – only a quarter turn for on-off operation; with a positive stop.
- Negligible pressure drop – no flow restriction through the valve.
- Virtually no chance of leakage - ball seals well in seat.
- Low to no maintenance costs - makes them a relatively inexpensive purchase.
- Resistance to rusting and corrosion.
- Biological cleanability of Stainless Steel.
WHAT IS THE PRIMARY USE FOR A BALL VALVE?
- To control flow – where a simple “on” or “off” of flow is required.
WHAT SEALS ARE USED IN YOUR BALL VALVES?
- PTFE. Best known brand name of the PTFE-based formulas is Teflon®
- Main advantages: high chemical resistance, wide operating temperature and pressure ranges and can withstand dry running.
- An inferior seal will result in a leaking valve, both in the 'running' and 'closed' positions.
HOW DOES A BALL VALVE WORK
- A hollowed out pivoting ball inserted in the valve body is turned with a handle.
- The valve is constructed with a stop catch cast into the valve body.
- It is a quick 90° turn to a positive stop to open or close flow.
- The valve is open when the handle is running parallel to the valve body, closed when positioned at right angles to the valve body.
- The seal is located in the body of the ball valve and presses up against the ball.
- As you turn the valve open or closed the valve makes contact with the seals.
- They maintain the water proofing ability of the valve through-out its life.
HOW TO SIZE A BALL VALVE?
- The size of the pipe thread determines the size of the ball valve to use.
- A 1” (25mm) threaded pipe will take a 1” (25mm) Ball Valve.
WHAT GRADE OF STAINLESS STEEL VALVE SHOULD I CHOOSE – SS304 OR SS316?
- Both stainless steel grades provide excellent resistance to corrosion and rust and both are durable.
- The basic difference is the inclusion of molybdenum in Stainless 316.
- The moly gives SS316 greater resistance to chemical attack than Stainless 304, especially against chlorides and chlorinated solutions.
- Stainless 316 will be more expensive because of its higher corrosion resistance.
- In instances where salt exposure is an issue 316 tends to be the preferred solution.
- The lower price of 304, whilst still providing excellent resistance in less corrosive situations, explains its popularity and widespread use.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 1 PIECE, 2 PIECE AND 3 PIECE BALL VALVES
- In the single piece design, the valve body is cast/forged as one piece. As a result, the insertion of the ball needs to be made through the end of the cast body. This design restricts the valve to a reduced bore.
- In the 2 piece design , the body is constructed in two pieces with the ball held in position by a body stud. This design allows the valve to be manufactured with a larger ball making this a full-bore valve. Note, there can be full port or regular port (reduced port) design possibilities with this construction.
- In the case of the 3 piece construction , the body has two end pieces and one centre piece, held together by four body bolts and nuts. The center piece, comprising the ball, stem & seats can easily removed from the pipeline. This construction facilitates in line servicing and cleaning without disturbing existing pipe work. The 3 piece valve can be taken apart the quickly and easily for cleaning.
- A well-designed SS ball valve will not leak, a poorly designed product will leak regardless of the configuration.